Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sweeney Todd

Sweeney Todd. The Demon Blade of Fleet Street. Sounds like an interesting story, and I like Johnny Depp. Tim Burton seems to be pretty hit or miss, and my impression of him seems overly influenced by how much Kevin Smith hates him. Hearing details about this story and who's directing it, I can't imagine anyone other than Depp and Bonham Carter being the leads.

The movie is a dark, sad tale. Depp shines as the star, and Sacha Baron Cohen has a nice little piece as a rival barber. In general it feels like a play, which makes sense because the story comes from the stage. The music, however, does get a little annoying for me. I don't have a problem with Musicals per se, but this was bad music IMO. I was also wondering, how much they enhanced the movie by making it a musical... There are admittedly a number of people who aren't influenced one way or another, but I feel like making the movie a musical will lose more on-the-fence viewers than it will gain. Maybe that's just me.

Overall, it was a good enough movie. I am glad I didn't pay money to see it though. One funny note, every time This Guy came on the screen, Margo said 'hey, it's Keira Knightly'.

No comments: