Sunday, January 13, 2008

Charlie Wilson's War

Charlie Wilson's War.

This is the tale(based on a true story) of how one ambitious congressman from Texas wanted to stop an invasion of Afghanistan, and wound up ending the cold war and causing the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Wheeling, dealing, shoot from the hip Texas boy Tom Hanks(Wilson) knows everyone on Capitol Hill. He has 'the most IOU's in Washington' and he's on a few important committees. He chases women, does cocaine, and consorts with shady characters. Even with all of this, he seems to have his heart in the right place. Convinced by the sixth richest woman in Houston(Julia Roberts) to intervene, Wilson puts the wheels in motion. Joining him in his cause is gruff, asshole-to-everyone(which is supposed to be charming) CIA agent Gust, played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, who I think is one of the best actors around. Hoffman delivers one of my favorite lines in recent memory :

"I want to take a minute to review the several ways you are a douche bag"

Getting natural enemies to cooperate, pleasing his locals, and avoiding his own legal trouble, Wilson is a whirlwind of accomplishments. The story is kind of fun if you don't take it too seriously. I'm a big Tom Hanks fan, and Hoffman was his normal standout self. Julia Roberts, who annoys me normally, also looked awful. From the start, this is a pretty sexually charged movie which surprised me, but it works. It also has a nice role for Amy Adams. She's been good in everything I've seen her in. I asked for more, I got it.

Not for children, or for Hankophobes, but enjoyable.

No comments: