Monday, January 7, 2008

Death Sentence

Death Sentence. I didn't know too much about this movie coming in. But it was, um, available... So I gave it a shot.

Strange movie from the start. Kevin Bacon is one truly ugly dude. His acting doesn't bowl me over either. Between his preachiness and self indulgence, if I didn't know, I would have guessed that he wrote this movie for himself. We are shown the Humes, a 'perfect' little family. Loving mother and father, with two darling children. Then disaster strikes.

The older son, Golden Boy we'll call him, is killed while father looks on. Kevin Bacon seeks revenge, and everyone's world is turned upside down. At work he starts to resemble Edward Norton from fight club(at work), he is lying to his family, and he involves his family in a gang war. Aisha Tyler plays a serious role, as the detective who keeps berating Kevin Bacon every time he is mourning. Garrett Hedlund(Brad Pitt's cousin in Troy) is good as the main bad guy, and I really liked John Goodman as his father.

Poorly conceived movie poorly implemented. One cool old mustang, and a few good Goodman scenes do little to make it more than barely watchable. I'd say wait til it's on TV.

No comments: