Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscars.

The Oscars. People keep asking me if I watched the Oscars. No I did not. I was in a car, and even if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have watched. Faithful readers also want me to comment on the Oscars. Who am I to argue?

Oscars suck. Emmy awards suck. Tony awards suck. People's choice awards suck. Stupid, arseholey people celebrating themselves and the crap they spew out non stop. It's so contrived, and horrible, and vapid, and stupid. I like movies MORE than the next guy, but come on. Please. We watch the goddamn movies, watch the half hour long credits(why? Do we care who these people are?) we see the million TV commercials, the sporting events they sponsor. We see 'stars' in the crowds of the world series, and football games, etc.

We read magazines, newspapers, web sites, blogs, twitters about these people. They are everywhere. Isn't that enough celebrating of celebrity? Last night Mugs, as she happily devoured fashion fun and faux-pas', exclaimed frustratedly "who the hell do they invite to these things?" Everyone and their dog. Every pitiful member of SAG. All those horrible self absorbed people.

I despise everything about awards shows, from :
the concept(horrendousness celebrating its own horrendousness)
to the execution(have you watched one of these snoozefest trainwrecks?)
to the results(come see this crappy movie, it won this stupid award from a bunch of jerks with no taste).
Why should we want to see a movie that wins an award. Do we know who votes? Or what kind of people they are? Or what their motives are? Like ads about 'the most watched TV program' or 'the most used this or that'. Who cares? Why does that make it right for me? I don't get it.

F them and the horses they rode in on.
humbug.

No comments: