Friday, February 8, 2008

Michael Clayton

Michael Clayton. I have mixed feelings going in. I don't really know too much about the movie, but it's a movie, so I'm interested. I like George Clooney in general, but Syriana and Good Night, and Good Luck both lost my interest quickly and kept it away. He isn't directing, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

A quick note about the very beginning. It's soooo easy to make the credits interesting(or at least not terribly boring). Make them a part of the movie. Show something before you hit us with them. Make them small and over some action they don't distract from. Sounds easy, right? Far too many movies make way too big a deal out of the credits, acting like we should give a crap who these people are. Making them an event in themselves. It's like an awards show for awards shows, pretentious crap celebrating itself. Michael Clayton actually has an interesting opening. They hook you with loony ravings from 'Artie'(Tom Wilkinson). He has a terrific voice, and the audience immediately starts wondering what the heck he's talking about. Well done Tony Gilroy(director), he had me at hello.

The opening was interesting, so was the rest of the movie. Well drawn characters, good dialog, good casting and high production value. Clooney is very good in the lead, and his way-too-worldly son isn't annoyingly precocious(which is a feat given his part). The story flows and keeps you listening even if it doesn't really go anywhere. While I didn't particularly empathize with any of the characters, I wanted to see what happened next.

Unless you're really sick of Clooney or suspense-y movies, I say check it out.

No comments: