Thursday, March 6, 2008

There Will Be Blood

There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis is terrific. He might be the best actor of our time. When I first heard of this movie, I wanted to see it. To experience his smoldering intensity as a turn of the century oil tycoon. While I definitely think he deserves the Best Actor he won for his performance, I wasn't super crazy about the movie.

Loosely based on Upton Sinclair's novel Oil, the movie is slow but very interesting. As long as it is, it seems like there were many plot points left out. When I read that Paul Thomas Anderson had trouble reconciling the story, more things made sense. Margo and I both thought this would have been better as a mini-series. Prospecting, drilling, buying, etc ... They could have more fully developed each aspect, and made each time period more clear.

The Paul/Eli dichotomy was unintentionally confusing, they were originally different actors playing the parts. Paul Dano was very good in those roles though. A friend of mine had told me about the "I WILL DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE" line a couple of weeks ago, so I was waiting and waiting for that to be delivered. I liked Bill Hader's delivery better in the SNL spoof of the scene.

Not a ton to day about the film I guess... Overall, definitely worth watching, but make sure you have time for it.

No comments: