Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Eye

the Eye. Another movie I wouldn't have watched if not for Jessica Alba. But we all have our reasons for doing things. The film also stars Alessandro Nivola, whose brother I kind of knew in college, and who I think I met once.

The Eye starts out with dark jump cuts filled with something scary. You can't tell exactly what, but there are screams and loud threatening things going on. This isn't what I expected from the movie. Then we get to Alba. Walking around, showing us how capable of a blind person she is. She can cross the street! She knows the doorman! She can smell flowers! Hooray for her. Lame lame lame.

Alba(her character is Syd, she seems to love playing characters with gender ambiguous names) is getting surgery to replace her eyes. Her sister flies into town to support her, keep her company in her time of need. Parker Posey is the sister. I'm normally a big fan of Posey, but she's pretty useless here.

We're supposed to be scared of the glimpses of death bringer thingies, and care that it upsets Alba. She has absolutely no chemistry with Nivola, and the movie completely fails to engage the viewer. Alba doesn't sparkle and acts as poorly as ever. I'd stay away.

No comments: