Saturday, March 8, 2008

Dan in Real Life

Dan in Real Life. I like Steve Carrell. He's funny. The movie had mediocre trailers : not enough to deter this buckaroo. Goodbye drinks with my friend who's leaving town got cancelled, so we decided to give this a shot.

Whoever made this movie, hold out your right hand. Now hold out your left hand. . Bad movie-maker. Bad, bad bad movie maker.

If you haven't gotten the picture, this is a bad movie. Terrible. Awfully written, poorly acted, terribly casted. Even the music was disjointed and distracting. After about 10 minutes Mugs was begging me to turn it off, and it never improved. But I struggled on, for you, faithful reader. I hope you can appreciate my sacrifice.

Let me review a few of the horribly annoying things about the film. Dan(Carrell)'s daughters. Such ridiculous caricatures of teenage brattiness. They were annoying, unrealistic, and frustrating to watch. At one point, the terribly patient and wonderfully nice Margo commented :
"I would punch my stupid kids in the face, then leave them there." I wholeheartedly agree.

Upon pulling Dan over, a police officer says to him "This is gonna cost you." Awesome. In a random dive bar in the middle of coastal Rhode Island, the juke box song played in some weird techno. No one in the bar seems to notice. Very progressive of them. I'm sick of these examples.

Then we get to the casting. Juliette Binoche is a 'hottie' and she is 'smokin'. Reeeeally? Really? There was a time when she was a sex symbol. She is pretty. But come on. She looks terrible in 'DIRL'. Very very far from the bewitching hottie she's supposed to be. The scenes in which she's supposed to make us hot are laughable. Dan goes on a date with Emily Blunt, who is 21 years younger than him. 21 years! And she looks at least that. How are we supposed to take it seriously that he's dating a woman he knew when younger, if he had his first daughter when she was 6. Aargh.

I think I'm done here.

No comments: