Thursday, March 13, 2008

Funny Face

Funny Face. My new friend SLC found out I love movies, so we decided to try a movie swap. I know she loves European things so I lent her Dirty Pretty Things, which is a terrific thrilling drama set in London and starring Audrey Tautou. I was given Funny Face, which looked familiar but I haven't seen it before(and also stars an Audrey).

Funny Face is an amusing little musical starring the aforementioned Audrey Hepburn, and Fred Astaire. We are treated to some classically dated cinematography featuring genuinely good dance numbers and some fun songs. Astaire helped choreograph, and Kay Thompson seems to combine the inspiration for Meryl Streep's character in The Devil Wears Prada and a jovial Lucille Ball.

Astaire starred in Funny Face as a Broadway musical in 1927, 2 years before Hepburn was born. Then he starred in the movie as her love interest in 1957, even though he is 30 years her senior. While there seems to be some real chemistry there, it is a bit creepy. Mugs doesn't like musicals as much as I do, but she liked that I was enjoying it, so everyone ended up happy.

No comments: