Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Drillbit Taylor

Drillbit Taylor. Silly formula comedy starring nerdy teenagers and the inimitable Owen Wilson. I hear it is similar to My Bodyguard, which I have never seen. I like the concept, it's partially written by Seth Rogan, and I'm a fan of the Wilson brothers. And I had the DVD. So why not?

Nerdy Kids. Drillbit is centered around nerdy kids. Troy Gentile, who has a biting wit, has played a young Jack Black in two films, and plays the angry fat kid well. Nate Hartley is a good tall skinny protagonist. Then we have the notably hobbit-heighted David Dorfman, in a role quite different from his character in the Ring movies. They all do well, taken under the wing of Wilson, who always plays a nutty but loveable guy well.

Stephen Root, who I love from Newsradio(one of the most underrated shows ever) is a great clueless principal, and fringe characters are all good enough. There's some stupidity, and a lot of funny. Cheesy high school substance, and some feel good at the end. If you like stupid comedies, I think you should check it out.

PS - my favorite line from Drillbit Taylor "the guy who does your mom says get up"

No comments: