Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Seven Year Itch

The Seven Year Itch. The last installment(for now) in the Marilyn portion of movie swap, my post pool movie tonight is The Seven Year Itch. I can't help feeling like I've seen the movie before, but we'll see I guess.

The main character of the movie is really Richard Sherman(Tom Ewell), a terribly frustrating man, not the lovely 'the Girl'(Marilyn Monroe). Screen time is completely disproportionally in favor of one of the most annoying movie characters I remember ever seeing. The style seems off as well. The sparsity and small number of sets made me think this was originally a play. I looked it up, and indeed it was. Starring the same Tom Ewell. This would explain a couple of things :
He overacts terribly(also a problem of the 50's in general)
He constantly speaks aloud his inner dialog. I can see how this is informative in a play, but in a movie it's really really unnecessary and stupid. Just shut up already. Really.

The movie is terribly dated, and is miles and miles from being 'The funniest comedy since laughter began!' as it is billed. The number one movie from 1955, peculiar ideas permeate. The only thing that translates is Monroe. She truly is intoxicating as 'the girl'. She would be famous in any era, which is more than I can say about most of her co stars. See it if you're into classics or Monroe, but don't expect to laugh out loud.

PS. There are two extremely brief scenes with a plumber, who is one of the scariest looking people I've ever seen.

PPS. Despite declaring at the beginning that I hadn't ever seen a Marilyn movie, I had actually seen at least 2. I guess they didn't leave a lasting impression.

No comments: