Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Bank Job

I'm back! Where was I you might ask? A little reading, a lot of TV. Some pool, and a lot more sleep. And who suffers? You, my faithful readers. I'd like to apologize for my prolonged absence. Well, I have made my triumphant return, I promise I'll review more consistently again.

----

The Bank Job. British caper film starring Jason Statham. What's not to like? Set in the 70's, we're chock full of retro cars and outfits, peppered with base cockney.

Boy was I wrong. A few short minutes into the film, we are given the weak, poorly set up, and not very original premise(I don't even think it's worth explaining). Not a good start. Extremely strange chemistry between the mains, and overacting by all aren't even close to being saved by lots of gratuitous nudity(or the lovely Saffron Burrows).

The director seems to think that suspense can be created by merely sound effects. In a scene lacking emotion or drama of any kind, we are treated to the 'bum-bum bum bum' of a heartbeat. Like our heart should be racing. Really? How about well written lines. How about actors reacting to situations appropriately. Terrible, just terrible.

If I had had anything at all to do with this movie I'd be too embarrassed to tell anyone. I can't believe it was released for public consumption, even given people's penchant for terrible and stupid movies. I just don't get it.

No comments: