Monday, August 4, 2008

Lars and the Real Girl

Lars and the Real Girl. I've wanted to see this for a long time. I've had it on DVD, just never got around to actually watching it. I was up at my cottage for about a week, and I want to watch a movie with me mum. Here we go.

Very cute, well done Indie flick. Good casting, Ryan Gosling shines as a quirky loner, and the setting really helps out the feeling of isolation. People have compared this to the Peter Sellers movie Being There(a movie as old as my baby blanket), which if you haven't seen you really need to.

Overall we both enjoyed it, and I'd highly recommend for pretty much anyone.

**
Bonus trivia fact :
The "Real Doll" was featured on "The Graham Norton Effect" (2004). The doll was given to the show and was stated as costing $6,000. She arrived in the same kind of crate that is shown in the movie. To test how real the doll looked they sat her in a bar with drink in hand, sunglasses and a speaker placed on her so they could talk to whomever came up to talk to the doll. One man was told to go into the bathroom, take off his pants and wait for her. He did.

No comments: