Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Into the Wild.

Into the Wild. Hmm ... I have a lot of thoughts about this movie, I'm just not sure how to express all of them. Coming in I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I think I like Emile Hirsch, and the subject matter sounded interesting. I didn't read the book, I don't know anything about the book, I don't think I even knew this was a true story. Mugs is much more in touch with the literary world than me, she seemed to know a lot about it. I read my share, just less mainstream stuff, and pretty much no non-fiction.

I have some perturbed things to say about the movie, so let me start with this : It was beautifully shot. The scenery was just amazing. It made me wish(a bit) I had seen it in a theater. Or on an HD DVD. Mountains, rivers, the Grand Canyon. Roads, deserts, even the people were really filmed well. It was almost like watching a National Geographic special.

As for the subject matter... Hmm... I really really disliked the protagonist Alex(played by Hirsch). I just found him so terribly hypocritical and annoying. He was all about preaching absolutes(which he didn't adhere to) when life isn't black and white. Last night Margo was trying to help me put a finger on just what I hated about him so much. She realized that I hate fundamentalism. This is true. Religions, statements, beliefs in general. I don't like a 'black and white' view of the world. People have asked me to get more into this, but I don't want to rant, and I don't want to make more people upset than normal. We can get more into it one-on-one if you'd like, I'm around :)

Overall, the movie is interesting, and visually terribly engrossing. Most people won't have the same problems I did with it, so I can recommend it. I felt unsatisfied, but check it out for yourself. It's at least worth seeing so you can talk about it :)

**Spoiler alert**
I was kind of happy he died at the end. It feels like the inevitable ending to throwing away all of the rest of the world. And even though it seems like it wasn't his intent to die out there, it must have been one of the possibilities as he entered his 'great Alaskan adventure'.

No comments: